We all know about keeping our car in good working condition throughout the winter, but keeping our cars in good nick is important in the summer too! Here’s our top summer car care tips
Although hot days are hard to come by in Bedford, when they come it’s really hot! Here’s our top 5 tips for caring for your car during the summer!
- Check your battery – Hot weather can cause your battery to have a shorter life span, especially if it isn’t properly sealed. Be sure to check the fluid level in your car’s battery and top up with distilled water if necessary. Low-maintenance (sealed) batteries don’t have filler caps and don’t need topping up. It’s still worth checking the battery for corrosion and leakage of battery acid.
- Check your air-con – Did you know, manufacturers recommend that air-con systems are re-gassed every two years. If you need to book your Mercedes in for an air conditioning check, don’t hesitate to give us a call! You may not notice it when driving down the motorways with your windows open, but if you have to stop you’ll soon notice the heat again!
- Check your fluid levels – You only need to check coolant levels and engine oil levels once a week, while brake, clutch and power steering fluid can be checked once a month. It’s always worth checking all of these before you set off on a long drive. Don’t forget to top up the windscreen washer fluid too!
- Are your wipers okay? – The condition of your windscreen wipers are important. You never know when there will be a downpour, especially in England! Having poor quality wipers will lead to an MOT failure. If you have new wipers and aren’t sure how to fit them, give us a ring or watch this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhSUFoKqnHU
- Due for a service? – If your car’s due its annual service and MOT around the same time you’re planning on using it for your summer holiday, get it checked over before you go so there will be less chance of a breakdown.